Thursday, December 5, 2013

Dia das Gracas! Dec 2, 2013



 One of Danny's favorite teachers from Dakota Ridge, Ms. Steffen, sent him REAL peanut butter, all of the way to Brazil!!  Even his mom won't do that for him!!!  She is soooo sweet!! He was absolutely thrilled!!!






Hello my wonderful family! This last week was truly insane. Haha one of the busiest that I have had on the mission so far, and one of the best! We started it out like champs and we are absolutely killing it in regards to lessons with members from the ward present and it was so great, we seriously taught so many people the first three days of last week! On Wednesday we had splits with the Zone Leaders, and I was working in our area with the American! Haha he wanted to talk in English most of the time because he hasn't spoken it in so long and so that was weird for me, we mainly switched on and off, it was fun though, he is from Salt Lake City, went to UofU and is a Jazz fan.... so it is a good thing that we are supposed to have charity, kindness, and patience, and other good attributes, because if otherwise I don't think we could have been friends. But it was good! I learned a lot from him, especially about contacting on the street!  We had a Multi-Zone Conference on Thursday (Happy Thanksgiving) and boy was I grateful to be there! It was such an uplifting experience, I learned so much from President and Sister Martins, they truly are inspired and I am grateful for the opportunity I had to be there. Also we learned our mission office will be moving in January, but dont have an address yet or anything so anything should still be sent to my address that I have currently! We also officially cannot use backpacks! Haha which is a big change because I use mine all the time since we walk everywhere, but that problem was solved today which I will talk about shortly! After the conference we had splits again so my companion could do baptismal interviews in their area, so I went with the other Zone Leader, who is a Brazilian and is awesome, we had a great time together and taught some great lessons. Then on Friday we went to Mairiporã, another area in our district for interviews, it was really good, I love the Elders there, one is from Star Valley, WY the other from Brazil and they are so great! We got a little lost trying to walk around and find the place where we were meeting them, but people are nice and give directions well (sometimes!)! Then on Saturday we had a baptism!! But it almost didnt happen! We got a call as we were filling up the font in the church from our ward mission leader who is a neighbor to the person, Antonio, who said that he had passed by and told him that he couldnt be baptized Saturday and needed to reschedule for next week! We were so bummed. So bummed. So we stopped the font, changed out of our suits, put up a sign on the church gate saying Baptism Cancelled, and went to Antonio´s house to see what happened! He is such a great investigator, seriously so awesome and had been progressing really well, we knew he was ready, but we went and talked about it and he was just really nervous and uncomfortable. SO we talked about it, bore testimony that this is the church of Jesus Christ and that through baptism he can have a new start in life, and then he agreed that he needed to be baptized that same day!!!! Haha we were so happy, we literally ran (I was happy about that opportunity, Bradley and I ran pretty hard the same day, but he ran faster), and filled up the font and changed and took down the sign and had a great baptism! He was really glad afterwards that he did! 
Then we went to the center of São Paulo for this huge expo that was going on and worked at the church´s booth! It was so cool, had people from all over the world and we worked telling people about the church´s Helping Hands and welfare programs! We even got our picture on the church´s webesite in Brazil, it was cool , my comp will send me the picture and I can forward it! Then we had this theater thing the stake was doing and had it involve around missionary work and inviting tons of non members, they asked all the missionaries to be there so we went to that! Then today we went to 24 de Marzo, one of the busiest streets in all of São Paulo, to buy a new backpack that has one strap and sits on the side and so is allowed and other things we needed. Haha it was so insane, there were so many people. More than I have seen in probably my entire life! It was fun and then we came back to our area, oh I had to call President to ask permission to go there (all the missionaries go there to shop because it has everything and is super cheap) and I actually understood him and spoke well! Haha I was nervous since it was Portuguese, but it went well! This week was so good, I was so grateful for the baptism and we are having such great progress with our investigators, I had a truly wonderful Thanksgiving being uplifted and edified by the Spirit. I am going to send some pics so sorry I cant say much more! Tchau!
Elder Carney     

No comments:

Post a Comment