Friday, November 15, 2013

CRAZINESS in Sao Paulo (Nov 4)

Haha so this last week was very very eventful. Very eventful. Haha it started last Monday, right after emails, we were working and noticed that people just seemed tense, but we kept on working, and as we were walking back to our apartment to get Elder Mussin’s planner that he had forgotten, this cop on a motorcycle was trying to get this man who was running back and forth trying to get away from him. Haha well there standing in the middle was... me. Haha it happened right as I was walking through the area on the side walk and then the guy ran away and the cop rode off after him.

So then we were walking up to the house and the Bishop, who lives in a house connected to ours, yelled at us to come into the house quickly. We went in and he told us there were riots going on in our area, not exactly in our immediate area where our house is, but really close in another part of our ward. Haha so we called our President and our entire zone had to stay in that night because apparently the police had killed a person in our area and the people were rioting. It was all very interesting because there were seriously like 5 helicopters in our area and apparently the people were lighting cars on fire and stuff like that, but not really in our area, more in the area where our zone leaders work. Haha it was interesting for sure! This made it pretty difficult to contact people for the next two days, unfortunately, because people just didn’t want to talk on the street to strangers, so we used it as an opportunity to contact less actives that we have on our ward list, and we contacted like madmen. Haha we walked everywhere, and we were really blessed with a couple new investigators we found while trying to find these members. Most of them moved and so now the ward can have more information for the list as well.

But another fun story is Tuesday we were leaving the house of a less active, walking on the sidewalk and walked past the entrance to a bar, well right then like 5 police officers got out of a car and with their guns up and aimed walked right at the bar to the people they wanted inside... haha with us in the middle. Basically I am not very lucky. But we were totally fine and just kept on walking and I truly do feel protected. Several times we felt it was better to not work in a certain area and it turned out things were happening there or something like that but we didn’t know! Elder Mussin keeps on joking if the police want to do something with us he is just going to yell that I am an American and that I did it! Haha but we were totally fine, seriously though mom, no need to worry, that was the most excitement we had and we were very much so safe! I almost didn’t say anything because I didn’t want you to worry, but it was just way too different and exciting to not tell about it!

But now it all is good here and we are working super hard. We prayed so so hard for these people we are teaching to come to church... and none of them came. It was so difficult, that is one of the most heartbreaking times when these people who you pray about so much, teach, and try to help don’t come to church. BUT! Heavenly Father truly is merciful because we had three other investigators come who we weren’t planning on and some of which we hadn’t really seen last week and that was truly a tender mercy from Heavenly Father. We are working hard, and it is heating up! Haha yesterday we walked so much in a really hilly area and I was feeling fit! Haha I think I could probably run pretty good still, although I feel pretty fat with all the rice and beans I eat everyday! 

Tonight we will find out about transfers which is exciting! I don’t really want to leave our area, especially because some of the people here are really progressing. But we will find out and then have transfers on Wednesday so you will have to wait until next week to find out unfortunately! Oh also, if I don’t email next Monday it is because I am still here in the capital area and we are going to the temple next Tuesday and that will be our preparation day!! Tão bom? Haha I am really excited to go and it will be a really good experience! Oh two of our recent converts went to the temple on Saturday!! They absolutely loved it and want to do family history work and go back. It was so cool to see them really have the fire and thoughts about helping their ancestors! I am loving the ward here, we are really gaining their trust and working a ton with them and the newly called ward missionaries! Also the Bishop is great and he talked with us a lot on Saturday and taught us some great things about the priesthood! I am loving it here, it is definitely hard work, and times can be disappointing, but it is so great and I am truly on the Lords Errand here.

Love you all, if I email Monday it means I got transferred to the interior, Tuesday still here in the capital!! Seriously loved the picture of the twins for Halloween, haha that was so great!!! Keeping you all in my prayers. Love you all!! Next week I will be 20!!!!!!!!

Oh and mom yeah probably best not to put up pics of the baptisms, but I will send more in the future not of baptisms that you can put up! Also that is way exciting about the kitchen and BooBoo, I am so stinking proud of you!! Haha I wrote that in my journal, of which I am writing in a ton, but that is so cool, I was fasting for you and that you would have a great experience! I just love you all, happy late Halloween, happy birthday to the greatest blessing in your lives... just kidding!!! And go Broncos!!!!

Love, Elder Carney

No comments:

Post a Comment